Do you remember that ‘eye’ of Doordarshan? The person who created this ‘Logo’ shared the fun stories related to it:-The real story of television history in independent India starts with Doordarshan only. Even after listening to the name of Doordarshan, we are still lost in the memories of our past. Every remembrance of that period is still unsurpassed for us. Today even though there has been a flood of TV channels, at that time we had only a few programs coming to Doordarshan for entertainment. The beginning of ‘Television India’ for the first time on September 15, 1959 in Delhi. At that time it was broadcast for just three days in a week, that too for half an hour.
In 1975, the name of ‘Television India’ was changed to ‘Doordarshan’. In the year 1982, the ‘Colored Doordarshan’ was started. Every Sunday during the broadcast of ‘Ramayana’ and the ‘Mahabharata’ which started after this year, the streets of the country were flooded every Sunday. Many people first awaiting the arrival of the ‘Ramayana’ by burning the fire burner after cleaning the houses. Doordarshan’s 24-hour news channel started on November 3, 2003. It happened to talk of Doordarshan’s history.
But do you know who designed Doordarshan’s ‘Logo’? Because the story behind it is also very interesting.
1. Doordarshan’s ‘Logo’ was prepared by former NID student Debashish Bhattacharya with his 8 friends. When Doordarshan decided to separate from All India Radio, at that time they also needed a separate ‘Logo’. For this, he assigned this responsibility to a team of NID students.
2. According to the report of Hindustan Times, Devshish Bhattacharya made an image of the person’s eye-shaped shape, with two curved curves ‘Yin and Yang’ shaped on both sides, handed it to his teacher Vikas Satvalekar.
3. एनआईडी के आठ छात्रों और छः फ़ैकल्टी मेंबर्स के 14 डिज़ाइन में से तत्कालीन प्रधानमंत्री इंदिरा गांधी ने देवाशीष भट्टाचार्य के डिज़ाइन को चुना.
4. R.L. Mistry, another student of animation NID, has prepared this design for Devashish. Mistry then shot the sketch created by Godseish with the camera and rotated them till they took the final form of a ‘Logo’. Today, we know the same eye in the name of ‘DDI’.
5. The music that comes with DD’s ‘Logo’, was composed by Pandit Ravi Shankar with Ustad Ali Ahmed Hussain Khan. This ‘tune’ with ‘Logo’ was first heard on April 1, 1976 on the television screen.
6. When DD News, DD Sports and some regional channels were launched in the 80’s and 90’s, some changes were made in the Symbol or Montage at that time. In particular, athlete was shown throwing discs in the dungeons of DD Sports, which later became a symbol of Doordarshan.
7. Talking to Firstpost, Bhattacharya said that “We kept its logo and symbol very simple so that everyone can understand. Its symbol represents different cultures.’
8. In the days of the beginning DD’s ‘Logo’ came with ‘Satyam Shivam Sundaram’, which was later removed along with it.
The tune that starts with the DD channel is still one of our most beautiful memories.