Tatkal ticket booking in Indian Railways: Several media reports suggest that recently there have been changes in the tatkal ticket booking, cancellation and refund rules. The first thing to note is that no new change has been introduced in 2018. According to Railway Ministry officials, from 2015 onwards, IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) has introduced several new rules for tatkal ticket booking – from charges to refund. However, for those of you who have to book train tickets at short notice/at the last moment, it’s best to know the process, rules, and guidelines.
Usually, the tatkal tickets are booked through internet and the booking depends on when the tatkal ticket booking opens. The official IRCTC website says that booking of the tatkal ticket can be done on an opening day for AC class (1A/2A/3A/CC/EC/3E) from 10:00 am onwards, while for Non- AC class (SL/FC/2S) booking of tatkal tickets can be done from 11:00 am onwards.
Tatkal ticket refund and concession rules: Concession in tatkal booking is not allowed even for senior citizens. Also, any type of ticket modification is prohibited. On cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets, any refund is not granted by Indian Railways. Moreover, some charges are deducted on cancellation of wait-listed tatkal tickets and contingent cancellation. In addition to these rules, partial cancellation of tatkal tickets is prohibited.
However, the passenger can claim the full refund of fare and tatkal charges, in case a train is more than three hours late. If the route of the train is diverted and the passenger doesn’t want to travel on that route then he/she can claim a full refund. If the route of the train is diverted and the boarding station/destination or both are not on the diverted route then the passenger can claim the refund on tatkal tickets. If the passenger has been accommodated in lower class but doesn’t wish to travel in the same and has paid the difference if he/she agrees to travel in the lower class then the passenger can claim the full refund.
Tatkal ticket charges: The charges for tatkal tickets depend on the type of coach, the passenger chooses such as second sitting, sleeper, AC Chair car, Ac 3 tier, AC 2 tier and executive. The charges for tatkal tickets depend on the type of coach, the passenger chooses such as second sitting, sleeper, AC Chair car, Ac 3 tier, AC 2 tier and executive. Starting from Rs 10 for 100 km, the tatkal charges can go up to a maximum of Rs 500 for a distance of 500 km or be depending on the class of coach.
Tatkal tickets are for those who want to travel on an urgent basis. However, now travelers may get confused while booking tickets, as the IRCTC has introduced new rules. Keeping in mind the requirement for the last minute tickets, the Indian Railways has made provision for online booking of Tatkal tickets so that people can travel even to their destination during the peak travel season.
IRCTC’s Tatkal ticket booking rules as they stand now:
1) AC Tatkal tickets booking will start from 10 am and non-AC ticket booking to begin at 11 am. You have to book the ticket a day before the traveling date.
2) If a train is more than three hours late, the passenger can claim the complete refund of fare and Tatkal charges.
3) A passenger can claim a full refund if the train’s route is diverted and the passenger doesn’t want to travel on that route.
4) A passenger can claim the refund on Tatkal tickets if the train’s route is diverted and the boarding station/destination or both are not on the diverted route.
5) A passenger can claim the full refund if he/she is accommodated in a lower class and doesn’t wish to travel in the lower class and the passenger has paid the difference if he/she agrees to travel in the lower class.